Every summer, visiting undergraduate and graduate students from across the country and around the world come to Georgetown University for a transformative summer experience. Over the years, we’ve welcomed students from more than 40 countries into the Georgetown community. You’ll have the opportunity to live on our historic hilltop campus, learn from distinguished faculty, and explore more than 250 courses—all while studying at one of the world’s leading academic institutions.
- Before You Apply
- Browse the online schedule of classes to determine which classes best fit your interests and needs. Please note: International students requesting visa support through Georgetown during summer are required to take a full course load of at least 6 credits per each session of 8 weeks or less; online courses do not count toward the full-time requirement.
- Review scholarship opportunities (optional). Georgetown Summer Sessions offers partial tuition scholarships to visiting non-degree students. If you’re interested in being considered for a scholarship, complete our Partial Tuition Scholarship application.
- How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application.
- Provide an official TOEFL or IELTS score report. These may be sent directly from the testing agency or sent by you as long as it is an official copy of the score report. We require a minimum score on the TOEFL test in the range of 550–600 (paper-based test), 225–250 (computer-based test), or 90–100 (iBT) to be considered for admission. The minimum score range on the IELTS test is 7.0–8.0 to be considered for admission. Please use Georgetown’s School of Continuing Studies school code, 5986, when sending your official score reports. Visit our English Language Exams page for more information.
- Provide an official copy of your most recent transcript from WES or ECE. Visit our Transcripts page for more information.
- We strongly encourage you to submit your application and all additional materials no later than April 25 for Main First Session courses or May 30 for Main Second Session courses.
- After You’re Accepted
- Apply for an immigration document should you require a student visa to the United States. Georgetown highly encourages summer students to apply for F-1 visas for participation in all academic sessions over the summer. Be sure to log in to the International Student Portal to submit all required documents. Please note: All documents related to visas will need at least six weeks to process. Please plan ahead and submit your paperwork early. Students who choose to enter the United States in tourist status and enroll in a summer course of study may be considered in violation of that status.
- You will automatically be enrolled in a mandatory health insurance plan. Georgetown requires international students participating in Summer Sessions to be enrolled in the University’s STINT Health Insurance Plan. For more information, visit the Georgetown Student Health Insurance site.
- Register for your classes. Follow the registration instructions provided in your Welcome Packet and on our Visiting Students Registration Process page.
- Visit the SCS International Student Resource page for additional tips and information.
- Pay your bill prior to the start of classes. Tuition is charged on a per-credit basis. You may visit the Tuition and Fees page to calculate how much your summer studies will cost. You may also visit the Office of Billing and Payment Services website for information on payment options.
- Apply for housing. If you plan to live on campus, in Georgetown’s residence halls, you need to apply for housing. You can view housing rates and apply directly through the On-Campus Housing Office.
- Purchase a meal plan. We offer flexible and convenient meal plan options for dining on campus. You can purchase a meal plan through Dining Services.
- When You Arrive on Campus
- If you applied for an immigration document through Georgetown, you will be required to attend a mandatory Immigration Document Review and Compliance Session for all visiting summer international students. We will contact you via email with the date, time, and location of this event no later than one week prior to the start of your class.
- Your primary resource on campus is the SCS International Student & Scholar Services. Please contact this office with any questions related to your status in the United States: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please keep in mind that all international students on a J-1 or F-1 visa must take at least 6 credits in each session they are attending. Therefore, any course drops will need to be approved by the SCS Assistant Dean for International Student & Scholar Services and the Associate Dean of the Summer Sessions.
- See Accepted Students for information on housing and dining at Georgetown.
- See the SCS International Student Resource page for additional tips and information.
Still Have Questions?
If you have additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com and we'll be happy to assist you.